Wednesday 9 September 2015

When your job becomes a task

Enjoy your job:

Many times we get into career paths that were dictated by our elders in the family and other times we consider the possibility of which job is more in demand. Rarely have I come across people who get into the profession that they are passionate about. This got me thinking ...


For many of my friends I find our conversations are going around the same circle; 
"I can't wait to find another job."
'I'm sick and tired of the same ish everyday at my work place."
OR the classic: "Where the weekend at?"
For friends who are loving their job I find the conversation is a little different. They wake every morning eager to get to work. They actually get to work on time or before time and are always talking about how exciting their day was. They are not looking forward to the weekend but living in the moment. In the now.


I am one of those people who has worked numerous job in less then a decade of my employment history. Some of these were short contracts and some were volunteer positions while I was completing my studies. And I have had my share of "Why is it another work day" to "YAY it is another work day". Having experienced both the extremes I noticed I was a happier, healthier and productive staff when I loved my job. The minute my job become a task I become unproductive, I was falling sick more often and I was exactly the 'team spirit' person I usually am. This meant I started looking at other job options. I do understand that for many people it isn't easy to jut drop everything and move to another job but we can start looking for other options that will ensure we are happy, healthy and productive. 

Secondly, I do blame the poor careers classes we may have in our high schools. When we were in high school our careers teachers didn't help us explore our options much. If you were getting good grades in Accounting they 'suggest' (more like push you in) taking the commerce subjects then you go to Uni and become an accountant. In high school I didn't know there was a thing as 'TAX accountant'. I didn't know the possibility of becoming a tutor/lecturer at the University. I didn't know I could be the financial manager of a Non-Government organization (NGO) and I definitely didn't know I could become a researcher in the accounts field. (No I didn't take up accounting in later high school or uni but I was one of the students who teachers tried to push into the commerce class). I have an Accountant friend who has gone off to do her Masters in Community work so she can come back and work with NGO/CSO even if it is in their finance sector but she wishes to make a difference in the lives of people. 
Why don't schools/ families/ community/ society encourage us to become change makers  but rather drill in us that getting a University is utmost important!

With the internet available almost everywhere these days it is easier for us to access information and explore our options of employment opportunities. But it is also important for us to dig a little deeper and find out What it is that we want to do? Where in the community do we want to make a difference? How can we make a difference in the community? Why is it important for us to be an active citizen in our community? It is no longer 'What do you want to be when you grow up?' Instead we need to be asking 'Who do you want to be when you grow up?' And I find that Rumeet Billan explains this so well in her TEDtalk video 


[These are personal opinions on the subject. You may have different experiences and opinion and I do look forward to your comments. Also let me know what you think of Rumeet's video].

Until next blog...


No comments:

Post a Comment