Thursday 12 February 2015

Spoken Words: What Sleep?

What sleep

Work
Play
Read
Watch
React
Excite
Assume
Speak
Listen
Write
Erase
Dust
Sit
Stand
Lie
Dance
Walk
Jog
Run
All in a days work...

Time to sign off from work and you can barely keep them eyes open.
Get on the bus and you can fall asleep on your neighbors shoulder.
Trying too hard to stay awake so you don't miss you stop.
Half asleep you get home.
Body tired.
Throat dry.
Legs dragging.
Eyes closing.
Mind chasing
That last minute thought.

Made it to the house. Put your bags away and wash your face.
Skip dinner tonight; there is no need.

Hit the bed
Count to 5
Your eyes open wide
A hundred and one things on your mind.

Did your lock the doors?
Did you send that last email?
Was it Anna I saw from the bus?
Did I wave back?
Is my phone ringing?
Who could be calling now?
What all do I have to do tomorrow?
What am I doing now?

Looking for that mental off switch
To kiss the world good night
The mind is reeling with the to-do list
It needs to be done this time

Eyes demand sleep
Brain wants to make a list
Hands are tired from working day
Feet would like a massage tonight
Back is hurting from sitting all day
Shoulder is crying in shame
Head hurts with a throbbing pain
What else to prove I am sane?

Sleep is all I desire
Rest my body is all I want
A mockery my brain thinks this is
Sleep is for the dead it spills.

No comments:

Post a Comment