Friday 12 June 2015

Happy 89th to the Queen

This year, 2015, her Majesty, the Queen turns 89!! What a milestone. This makes her the long serving monarch in history. 
As a Queen's Young Leader I was invited to the Queen's Birthday Party (#QBP) hosted by the British High Commissioner, HE. Roderick Drummond
My plus one for the evening was my dear Mummy!!! And she was just as excited as I was to be invited :-) 

We were greeted by the High Commissioner himself upon arrival and I introduced my mother to him. His reply was that he will mentioning me in his speech later that evening and that he has been following my blog!! How awesome is that. (Memo to self; show more commitment to the blog). 


While we waited for the formalities to begin we met this wonderful mother and son who were invited to the function especially from Lautoka. Ellekay is a student at USP's Lautoka campus.And her son, Manueli, who is a class 8 in Lautoka won the DHL Match Ball delivery competition for the opening match between England and Fiji. Today also marks the 100 days countdown for the Rugby World Cup 2015


I must admit the High Commissioner has a great sense of humor.

He mentioned how he will need to be 'neutral' during the England Vs. Fiji opening match, adding he has two words Tosso Viti. The entire speech he had was very captivating and the little jokes he had in between made things even more interesting. He acknowledged Manueli's accomplishment and everyone is super excited for him, especially his mom who will be traveling with him to England for the opening match. 

He went to mention my accomplishment with the Queen's Young Leaders Award and emphasized on the award being given by her majesty, The Queen. The was a rush of 'Oooo!!" from the crowd. This put the largest smile on mummy dears face. AND I live to see that PRIDE smile on her face. She has done far too much to ensure we, my sister and I, become the people we are. 

After the formalities we mingled with some of the guests; including the Attorney General, the President of Fiji, UNDP rep, Acting VC of Fiji National University, Chair of CCF Board and two of my high school/ uni friends (Javed and Seema - Sorry Javed for not taking a photo with you!!!) 

The small chat with HE, the President of Fiji was funny.
HE, the British High Commissioner (to HE> President of Fiji); This is Elisha, she will be receiving an award from the Queen next week. 
HE. the President of Fiji; Congratulations.
Me: This is my mother, Saira. 
Mum: I am Iqbal's wife, from Fiji Golf Club. 
HE. the President of Fiji: Shakes his head and smiles away. 

It was a very "That awkward moment when the President of Fiji is friends with your father". 

I would like to thank HE. The British High Commissioner for such a wonderful evening and for the invite. And to her majesty, the Queen, Happy 89th Birthday. May you live a long and healthy life. See you soon! 

Until next blog;
HerRoyal Bano 





2 comments:

  1. I just started reading your blog and I am really inspired. There is so much happening and your take on everything is so wonderful! You are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks :-) That means a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete