Thursday 12 February 2015

The time we lost a great young woman

Loss of a great Young Woman!

I have grown up in a family where my parents NEVER hit me. Instead they used a rewards and punishment system (but never did they hit us). Punishment would be NO TV or No sports for the weekend etc. I was allowed to decided was subjects I want to take in school and decide on a career path of my own. I have been given the freedom of deciding my own life partner (even though he does not practice the same religion as my family does). 

At home I have always been encouraged to share. 
Share what is mine. 
Share my thoughts. 
Share my ideas. 
Share my opinion (for decision making in the home).
Share my troubles.
Share my achievements. 

I feel like I am very privileged. I write this because yesterday (4th of July) I attended a Peace Vigil held for a young woman who was murdered. She was found in her flat covered in a pool of her own blood. At the vigil we were told of her story. She was the victim of mental and emotional abuse by her husband. And she was getting separated from him (officially). 
She was a 31 year old, promising academic at USP. She was writing her thesis on gender studies (I am not sure of the actual title). 
No one should have to suffer like this. 

Abuse or no abuse.
Educated or not.
There is no reason for anyone to see a fate like this.

Our prayers are with her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment